Did You Know? Your NAR C2EX (Commitment to Excellence) endorsement serves as an equivalency option for NAR’s Code of Ethics training requirement. Get started at C2EX.Realtor.
Note from New Jersey REALTORS®: NAR’s Code of Ethics requirement and the New Jersey continuing ethics requirement are two separate requirements from two different governing bodies. Code of Ethics is only a Realtor® requirement, as Realtors® pledge to uphold themselves to a higher level of ethics. The NJ continuing education requirement for ethics is governed by the NJ Real Estate Commission and is necessary for renewing your license with the state.
NAR requires that local associations such as CORE suspend members who haven’t completed the requirement by the deadline, and eventually terminate the membership if not completed. CORE has decided to offer a grace period until January 14, 2022, since the December 31 deadline falls at such a difficult time of year for members. Therefore, here’s the schedule:
- January 14 – deadline for members to provide proof of completion of Code training to CORE
- January 20 – members who didn’t provide proof of completion by January 14 will have their Realtor membership suspended, which may impact services that require Realtor membership.
- March 1 – members who didn’t provide proof of completion by February 28 will have their Realtor membership terminated, which may impact services that require Realtor membership.
Q&A for Brokers/Managers:
How do you find a list of noncompliant agents in your office?
- Login to CORE’s Member Portal.
- Select “Office” at the top of the page and then select “Broker Reports” from the dropdown list.
- Under “Select Report”, select “Code of Ethics Status”. This will generate a report showing all active agents in your office and their Code of Ethics status.
- Click the arrow next to the “COE Status” column name to sort the list and quickly see all “Not Compliant” agents.
What do your noncompliant agents need to do?
If they completed the course, they need to email either the certificate of completion for the ethics course, or a screenshot of the PSI CE Tracking System report showing the completed ethics course, to email@example.com by January 14, 2021.
- If they need to take the course, see above where it says, “Need to Complete Your Code of Ethics Course Requirement?”.
What if they miss the deadline?
On Jan. 20, 2022 CORE will suspend their membership. Suspension means:
- Suspended members are still obligated to abide by the Code of Ethics and pay their Realtor dues, including to renew for 2022.
- Suspended members are unable to complete the application for or qualify for the 2021 NJ REALTORS® Circle of Excellence Award.
- Important services like SUPRA, Realtors Party Resources®, access to some MLSs, and more can be impacted or shut off completely.
- Learn more about suspended memberships here.
- Suspended members would have until Feb. 28, 2022 to meet the NAR Code of Ethics training requirement to avoid termination.
On March 1, 2022, any suspended member who hasn’t fulfilled the NAR Code of Ethics requirement would have their membership terminated.
- To reinstate their Realtor membership, members would need to first show proof of completing the Code of Ethics training, and then reapply and pay any additional fees required with the application (i.e., an application fee, NJR Legal Defense Fund fee, 2022 dues and late fees, if applicable).
What if the suspended member is the office principal, partner, corporate officer, and/or Designated Realtor? All of the above would still be true, additionally:
- The office’s Realtor membership, including the Realtor memberships of all of its agents, would also be suspended on Jan. 1, 2022. Please see above for the effects of the suspension.
- Important services like SUPRA, some MLSs, and more that require the office have a Realtor membership in good standing can be impacted or shut off completely for the whole office.
Your success is important to us, and we’re working hard to ensure that all 4,800+ CORE Realtor members are certified as compliant so there’s no disruption in your Realtor membership and other important services.
Questions? Brokers, office managers, and Designated Realtors please email Marybeth@core-realtors.com. If agents have questions, please have them email firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our staff will be happy to help.
Thank you for your Realtor membership, and your membership at the CORE Association of Realtors®!