Are You Planning To Buy, Rent, or Renovate a Home Built Before 1978?
Lead From Paint, Dust, and Soil Can Be Dangerous If Not Managed Properly
- FACT: Lead exposure can harm young children and babies even before they are born.
- FACT: Even children who seem healthy can have high levels of lead in their bodies.
- FACT: People can get lead in their bodies by breathing or swallowing lead dust, or by eating soil or paint chips containing lead.
- FACT: People have many options for reducing lead hazards. In most cases, lead-based paint that is in good condition is not a hazard.
- FACT: Removing lead-based paint improperly can increase the danger to your family.
Simple Steps To Protect Your Family From Lead Hazards.
If you think your home has high levels of lead:
- Get your young children tested for lead, even if they seem healthy.
- Wash children’s hands, bottles, pacifiers, and toys often.
- Make sure children eat healthy, low-fat foods.
- Get your home checked for lead hazards.
- Regularly clean floors, window sills, and other surfaces.
- Wipe soil off shoes before entering house.
- Talk to your landlord about fixing surfaces with peeling or chipping paint.
- Take precautions to avoid exposure to lead dust when remodeling or renovating (call 1-800-424-LEAD for guidelines).
- Don’t use a belt-sander, propane torch, high temperature heat gun, scraper, or sandpaper on painted surfaces that may contain lead.
- Don’t try to remove lead-based paint yourself.